In the first part of this year Innovation released a firmware update for their newest (and my chosen action cam) Drift Ghost-S. One of the listed bug fixes was to resolve an issue with recording stopping after 20 minutes.
Last week I lent the camera to a friend to record his laps at Big Dog, a mountain bike race held in Brighton. he said there was confusion due to the camera routinely beeping around the 45 minute course – he thought it had stopped recording.
I’ve noticed this once or twice but when I’ve got home found I have all the footage but it is a number of files. I had thought this was because my glove may have been bumping the remote wristwatch stopping and starting it but on further investigation I have found this is not the case.
There is still a bug in the Drift Ghost-S, and possibly throughout the range which relates to the formatting of the memory card as Fat32. The file system can only create a file with a maximum size of 4GB. This was one of the main reasons for Microsoft developing NTFS which gave more control.
It would seem this is not a problem which can ever be resolved by the team at Drift Innovation, I’m currently waiting for some response from their technical team regarding the problem. However, part of the fix is to ensure that sufficient buffering is done so that when the file reaches the limit point recorded stops/starts and yes this means another file, but you should not lose any recorded events.
A horrific day of extreme downpours meant that the Sunday qualifying for the first round of the 2014 British Superbike season was left with a somewhat miserable grid at Brands Hatch. Luckily for us, the sun broke through on Monday morning as we took a ride from Brighton to Kent for race day. Continue reading “British Superbikes Round 1, 2014”
Today I went out on a bloody amazing ride with the Kent Advanced Motorcycle Group (KAMG). It’s the first time I’ve been out with them since i was doing my advanced rider training with them back in 2012.
I went out today with some updated settings on the Drift Ghost S. I wanted to sort out two things. Firstly, shooting at 24fps to see whether it made it smoother viewing but still at 1080p for best quality. The second thing I changed was the FOV, or field of view setting to 90 degrees.
This as it turns out is a huge huge mistake. Continue reading “More lessons with the Drift Ghost-S”
Another experiment with the Drift Ghost S, this time I have shot at 720p at 120fps. A new project was created in Final Cut Pro X (which I am starting to like even though the controls look and feel like they lac control) at 30fps. I’ve then slowed the clip down to 25% and done a bit of colour grading.
Exported out and then transcoded with Media Encoder using the Youtube 720p 25fps default setting.
Music by Talk Less Say More.
The second video from our trip to Avoriaz and learning about shooting with the Drift Ghost S and editing with NLE’s.
The main thing that has become apparent from this latter footage is rolling shutter and exposure issues. I think I’ve figured out how to combat this in these situations, it is just a shame that we didn’t have a computer to playback footage whilst we were away to learn from what we shot each day and know what makes good footage and what settings to use. Continue reading “Drift Ghost-S and Final Cut Pro X”
I’ve discovered that the Mercury Engine used in Adobe Premiere Pro is not compatible with any graphics cards other than those created by Nvidia and ‘some’ ATI cards. Check out this post here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6143510
This means that there is nothing you can do to resolve issues with rendering files in Premiere Pro on any Macbook Pro made after Mid 2013 with a retina display because they all have the Intel Iris 1024mb graphics card built into them.
Now I’m going to download a trial of Final Cut Pro X to see whether they have really worked over Final Cut and it is compatible with my graphics card so that I can preview edits.
This weekend I spent some time learning how to produce video with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. In particular, developing a good workflow, basic structure of a film project and how to work with footage taken off the Drift Ghost S which I but just a few days prior to a trip snowboarding in Avoriaz last month. Here’s what I’ve learnt. Continue reading “Drift Ghost-S and Adobe Premiere Pro CS6”
Second test video with the Drift Ghost-S. I wanted to experiment with a few things after giving the helmet mount a bash.
I wanted to see how it handles auto ISO when you’re in hard sunlight and today is certainly the day for it. It’s pretty good in fairness. You’ll see there is obvious shadowing in the foreground when the sun is directly behind me and in line of sight of the lens. When I move the pole up, the overall exposure of the shot is more balanced.
The second is experimenting with using a Gorilla Pod as a pole. This was just an idea I had after seeing the XSories Big Deluxe Tripod which is essentially a padded Gorilla Pod.
My Gorilla Pod is just short of 200mm, just 80 shy of the Xsories, but it’s clear for ergonomics (i.e. not having to have your arm up too high) that 80mm makes a difference, but it doesn’t detract from the fact that the Gorilla Pod will serve as a very good makeshift camera pole. We’ll see how it fairs on the snow next week.
Here we go. In preparation for a week out in Avoriaz, I picked up a new Ghost Drift S by innovation. I’ve spent so long debating the do I don’t I, that I decided to screw the go pro route and go Drift.
Here’s the first test, wrong bike maybe but I filmed my ride to work this morning using the helmet mount which I’ve attached to my Snowboard helmet.
Video shot at 1080p 60fps. Continue reading “First video with the Drift Ghost-S”